Deposed Gabon President, Ali Bongo, Sons Go On Hunger Strike, Lawyers Say

May 15, 2024
Deposed Gabon President, Ali Bongo, Sons Go On Hunger Strike, Lawyers Say
Ali Bongo

Former Gabon President, Ali Bongo, alongside his two sons, Jalil and Bilal, has reportedly gone on a hunger strike to protest against the alleged “acts of torture and barbarity” they are facing at the hands of the Gabonese Government.

The family’s lawyers who made the  claim, stated that the situation is dire for the deposed leader and his sons.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Ali Bongo succeeded his father, Omar Bongo in 2009 and had been leading the country until he was deposed in a bloodless military coup led by his cousin, Brice Oligui Nguema, in August 2023. The coup followed a disputed election in which Mr. Bongo claimed victory.

READ ALSO: Coup In Gabon, Military Seizes Power, Ends Civilian Regime

Since his ousting, Ali Bongo has been placed under house arrest in Gabon’s capital, Libreville, alongside two of his sons. His wife, Sylvia, and eldest son, Noureddin, were taken to prison on corruption charges, and are currently awaiting trial.

According to a statement released by their lawyers on Tuesday, Noureddin was allegedly subjected to brutal torture, including being beaten with a hammer and crowbar, strangled, whipped, and electrocuted with a taser.

Sylvia, his wife, was reportedly beaten, strangled, and forced to witness Noureddin’s torture, the lawyers alleged.

Francois Zimeray, one of the family’s lawyers, stated in an interview with Radio France Internationale (RFI) that they had filed complaints in a court in Paris a week before General Nguema’s visit to France. Zimeray emphasized the seriousness of the crimes and the need for justice, indicating that if the perpetrators do not appear, international arrest warrants would be issued.

“These are serious crimes, and the perpetrators must be brought to justice. So there will be an investigation, there will be a summon, and if they do not appear, international arrest warrants would be issued,” lawyer Zimeray told RFI, claiming they “have the names of those who participated in or sponsored these acts of sequestration, torture, and barbarity.”

Despite the gravity of the allegations made by Ali Bongo‘s legal team, the government of Gabon is yet to respond.

+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Sierra Leone Honours Nigerian Military Officers for Peace Efforts

The President of Sierra Leone, Julius Maada Bio, has awarded national honours to two senior Nigerian military officers in recognition of their contributions to peace and regional stability. The awards were presented during the 17th Armed Forces Day celebration of the Republic

Mugabe’s Son Arrested in South Africa Over Alleged Shooting

Bellarmine Chatunga, the son of former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, has been arrested in South Africa following an alleged shooting at his residence in Johannesburg. Police say the incident took place at his home in the upmarket Hyde Park suburb, where an

Kenya to Begin Administering HIV Prevention Drug

Kenya will begin rolling out a new HIV-prevention drug in March, in what health officials have described as a major step forward in the fight against the virus. The drug, lenacapavir, is taken just twice a year and has been shown in

Gabon Suspends Social Media Amid Rising Unrest

Gabon’s media regulator has ordered the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice,” citing content that it says is fuelling division and unrest in the country. The High Authority for Communication (HAC) announced the move on Tuesday. Spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained
Kenya’s Evolving Credit Landscape Highlights Drive for Financial Inclusion
Previous Story

Kenya’s Evolving Credit Landscape Highlights Drive for Financial Inclusion

Mohbad’s Autopsy Results To Be Released In Three Weeks
Next Story

Mohbad’ Autopsy: ‘Cause Of Death Inconclusive’- Pathologist

Don't Miss

Two EFCC Officers Appear Before Disciplinary Committee Over Assault Of Woman In Lagos Hotel

EFCC Recovers N27bn, $19m, Probes ‘Monumental’ Procurement Fraud In Federal Ministries

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it has
Apple Removes Meta's WhatsApp, Threads, Others From App Store In China Over Security Issues

Apple Removes Meta’s WhatsApp, Threads, Others From App Store In China Over Security Issues

Apple has announced the removal of several social texting apps,