Bashar al Asaad

Assad Speaks From Exile: Final Departure From Syria ‘Not Planned’ 

December 17, 2024
2 mins read

Bashar al-Assad, the former president of Syria who fled to Russia as rebel forces launched a series of attacks that overwhelmed his military, has broken his silence.

Speaking from exile for the first time since his departure, Assad denied that his exit was premeditated, defending his actions in the final days of his presidency.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

“My departure from Syria was neither planned nor did it happen in the final hours of battle, as some have claimed,” Assad said in a statement, posted on the Syrian presidency’s official Telegram channel.

“At no point during these events did I consider stepping down or seeking refuge, nor was such an offer made to me by any individual or party. The only course of action was to continue fighting against the terrorist onslaught,” he added.

Assad, who succeeded his father, Hafez al-Assad, in 2000, following his death, elaborated on the situation leading up to his escape, reiterating that he had remained in Damascus up until the final moments. He emphasised that he had “refused to barter the salvation of his nation for personal gain,” maintaining that he stood alongside his soldiers, even on the most dangerous battlefronts.

“I remained in Damascus, carrying out my duties until the early hours of Sunday, December 8, 2024,” Assad said. “As terrorist forces infiltrated the capital, I moved to Lattakia in coordination with our Russian allies to oversee combat operations.”

Upon his arrival at the Hmeimim airbase, Assad noted that the Syrian military had withdrawn from all battle lines, signalling the collapse of the regime’s defenses.

READ ALSO: Bashar al-Assad’s Government Falls As Rebels Takeover Damascus

At this point, Assad’s statement revealed, the Russian government issued an evacuation order for him to be transported to Russia. “With no viable means of leaving the base, Moscow requested that the base’s command arrange an immediate evacuation on the evening of Sunday, December 8,” the statement read.

The fall of Damascus came a day after the final Syrian military positions had crumbled, marking the end of Assad’s hold on power. Rebel forces, led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), entered the capital without resistance, declaring Syria “free” and releasing prisoners. The sudden change sparked celebrations across the country as Syrians rejoiced in what they believed was the end of Assad’s regime and the long-running civil war.

READ ALSO: New Syria Leader Urges Citizens To Rebuild Country After Assad’s Fall 

Assad’s regime, which had been in power since 1971 beginning with his father, was responsible for more than 13 years of brutal civil war, which began in 2011 as part of the broader Arab Spring uprisings. The conflict has led to the displacement of over six million Syrians and caused over 500,000 deaths.

Since the fall of Damascus and Assad’s departure, the rebel groups have formed a caretaker government, which is expected to hold power until March 2025. This marks a new chapter in Syria’s political future, one that is still uncertain as the country begins the difficult process of rebuilding after years of devastation.

content

+ posts

Latest from World News

Don't Miss

New Syria Leader Urges Citizens To Rebuild Country After Assad's Fall 

New Syria Leader Urges Citizens To Rebuild Country After Assad’s Fall 

As Syrians across globe continue to jubilate over