Ali Bongo Free To Leave Gabon - Coup Leaders

Military leaders in Gabon on Wednesday said the Ousted President, Ali Bongo is no longer under house arrest and is free to leave the country for medical treatment if he wishes.

The announcement which was made on state television, comes two days after his former military guard and coup plotter, General Brice Oligui Nguema, was sworn in as head of the military Government.

The former President’s health had been a top issue in the country before the coup.

READ ALSO: Gabon Coup: Coup Leaders Reopen Country’s Border, Pledge Commitment to International Obligations

The 64-year-old suffered a stroke and has been seen walking with the aid of a stick.

His reelection bid which was disputed by opposition leaders, coupled with the political instability and economic problems in the oil-rich African country, led to the coup which brought to an end, the 55-year rule of the Bongos family which started with his Father, Omar Bongo who ruled Gabon from 1967 till his death in 2009 before he (Ali Bongo) took over and ruled till he was ousted last week in a bloodless coup by his cousin and present military leader, General Brice Nguema.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

The coup has been widely condemned in Africa and other parts of the world, including France, the former colonial power that had close ties to the Bongo family. Gabon has been suspended from the African Union.

Despite the widespread condemnation of the military coup, the citizens welcomed the removal of the Bingo family after almost 56 years reign.

John Adoyi, PBA Journalism Mentee
+ posts

Featured Stories

Latest from Africa

Tinubu Urges Release of South Sudan Vice-President

President Bola Tinubu has called for the immediate and unconditional release of South Sudan’s First Vice-President, Riek Machar, as part of efforts to revive the country’s stalled peace process. In a message delivered by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, Mr Tinubu said Nigeria remained

Morocco Earmarks $330m for Flood-Hit Northern Regions

The Morocco government has approved a 3bn dirham ($330m) emergency package to support communities in its northern provinces after weeks of unusually heavy rainfall triggered widespread flooding. In a statement on Thursday, the royal palace said King Mohammed VI had ordered a
Previous Story

MonieWorx Encore Campaign Raises ₦260m In 7 Days, Unlocking Needed Capital For SMEs

UK In Search Of Terrorist Soldier Who Escaped London Prison
Next Story

UK In Search Of Terrorist Soldier Who Escaped London Prison

Don't Miss

Christmas: Nigeria Govt Offers 15 Days Free Train Services To Travellers

Christmas: Nigeria Govt Offers 15 Days Free Train Services To Travellers

As the Christmas season approaches, the Nigerian government has approved

Super Eagles Captain Musa Gifts Olympic Gold Medallist ‘Shagari’ N2m

Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa in his usual